Friday 7 October 2011

Lesley Cookman, cosy crime writer extraordinaire, pays Monty and Rosie a visit on their blog!

Lesley Cookman:

First of all, thank you to Susan for allowing me on to her blog - a great honour.

Susan illustrated me (at least, that’s what I tell her):




However - although she has shown me as a slim, smoking, wine-drinking young thing with exquisite taste in scarves, writing with pen on paper in an attic - not ALL of that is quite true - no - I actually write directly onto a computer, more like this:

My heroine, Libby, lives in Steeple Martin where my books are set:
This map, especially created for me by Susan, appears in all the books and on my website.

Susan and I have been known to do joint book signings - here’s one at the Cotswold Bookstore with - from left to right: Susan Alison (map creator and co-signer of books) Gilli Allan (author of 'Torn' for Kindle), Adrian Magson (crime writer), Katie Fforde (romantic comedy writer and President of the Romantic Novelists' Association), her sister Jane Gordon-Cumming, and publisher Hazel Cushion of Accent Press (feisty, independent publishing):

 
Rosie: *snort-woof* Look - Susan’s taking a quick nap while all the lovely people are looking at the camera!

Monty: Quite right too! It’s the most noble of pastimes… zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz





Lesley: My latest book is called Murder At The Manor and comes out on November 7th in paperback and for Kindle so it's in everyone's favorite format.

Murder at the Manor is the ninth in the Libby Sarjeant series, and features nearly all the regular characters, including Sidney, Libby’s grumpy silver tabby cat, and her friend Fran’s Balzac, a long haired black and white. The books are 'Cosy Mysteries', which means they’re more Rosemary and Thyme
 
 




than Spooks.









Libby and Fran are both former actors, and keep their association with the stage by being involved with the Oast Theatre in Steeple Martin.

It’s all very jolly and quite good fun - apart from the odd body - but I do try and keep the stories relevant to today, so have some very serious underlying themes.

I do hope fans of Susan’s art will like the books, and thank you once again, Susan, for all the pictures.


Rosie: *woof-cough* - actually, it's our blog! But, you’re very welcome, Lesley, and you can come back anytime. Well… for as long as you keep bringing the gravy-soaked biscuits, that is...

Monty: It’s been lovely getting to know you, Lesley. Am wide awake now and I’ll be sure to be there with my Kindle on November 7th ready to do the one-claw-clickety-click dance.

Yay for Lesley Cookman, cosy crime writer extraordinaire - Yayyyyy!!!!!!!!!!bark!!!!!!!!!









17 comments:

Jan Jones said...

What a wonderfully illustrated blog post! I chuckled all the way through.

Good luck with Murder at the Manor, Lesley!

x x x

Shirley Wells said...

Exactly what Jan said. A wonderful blog post. I just love those illustrations.

I shall be reading Murder at the Manor on my iPad, Lesley!

The Bear's Blog said...

Great post. Love all the illustrations, and of course - the 2 stars. (o: Woof.

Hugs

Tracey Phillips said...

Fancy falling asleep at a book signing Susan...shame on you...:-) Good luck with the launch of your new book Lesley it sounds great!

Lesley Cookman said...

Thank you all, on behalf of Monty, Rosie and myself!

Penny A said...

The pictures are... well, Jolly seems the best word of all! But my favourite has to be that map. It looks marvellous.

Good luck with the book!

montyandrosie said...

Lovely to see you, as always, Jan!

montyandrosie said...

Shirley - thank you so much for dropping by and leaving a comment.

montyandrosie said...

Love the mouse house!!! Go to The Bear's Blog for just lovely, magical things to see and read about. (jus sayin)

montyandrosie said...

I know, Tracey. Just can't take me anywhere...

montyandrosie said...

Thank you, Penny! You should have a map in your books of course...

Glynis Scrivens said...

I don't visit your blog often enough, but each time I do, I'm surprised anew by your wonderful artwork. And if these cute dogs and cats think Lesley's book is a winner, I'd better check it out.....

montyandrosie said...

Thank you, Glynis! How lovely to see you here! Do call again - we'll have a cream tea. High-paw to ya from Monty and Rosie.

Penny Grubb said...

I first met Libby and explored Steeple Martin with her a couple of years ago. I'm looking forward to Murder at the Manor.

montyandrosie said...

Thank you, Penny Grubb (also a crime writer) - you won't have long to wait - Murder at the Manor comes out next month. You'll have to get in the queue though.

Lesley Cookman said...

Gosh - lots of lovely comments! Thank you everyone, and hurry up with your next one Penny!

Penny Grubb said...

Hello Lesley. My first 3 are out in paperback 15 Nov. WHS are doing a special promo - the trilogy for £15. That is, the shops where I'm signing said they'll do that. I don't know if it means they all will. Not sure how these things work.
Glad to know we're all getting the crime out there for Christmas. If you're in the vicinity of any of my signings (every Saturday from 19 Nov to Christmas - see events on www.pennygrubb.com) do call in to say hello.

White Lies and Custard Creams - romantic comedy with a dash of mystery

All His Own Hair: romantic comedy with a dash of sabotage

Greeting Card Universe has my cards now, too...

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I'm a writer and artist. Dogs tend to feature in my writings and pictures rather a lot - living under the paw like I do...

Popular Posts

White Lies and Custard Creams - romantic comedy with a dash of mystery

All His Own Hair: romantic comedy with a dash of sabotage

My Blog List